Wednesday, September 3, 2008

9/2/2008 Getting better

Just outside Centralia
Miles Today: 67
Miles Done: 291
Miles Left: 1536

Today I got my start at 11AM. That may not sound like much but I have generally not gotten out until near noon most days. I still haven't completely worked out my morning routine. Part of it is due to the fact that I have been unpacking my bike completely at night. I need to organize to the point that I don't need to unpack the bike tools and like when I pull into camp.
The roads out of town quickly became hilly and a meandered through what I can only assume is cottage country. The road was quiet and and curved this way and that to run near small lakes with closely spaced driveways leading to boat ramps and houses near the shore. Occasionally I would come across a intersection named after someones wife or a family name. At one intersection I was at the meeting of "Dog Gone" and "Bear Trap" roads.
Along this stretch I came across a couple of other tourers. I was astonished at the volume of gear they carried, my whole load easily would have occupied their front wheel and they carried twice that on the rear. They were friendly and were heading to north Dakota. They had previously covered most of what I was to do. They encouraged me with statements that the route my map is having me take through Washington was rather dull but that Oregon would be an explosion of views soon enough. We departed ways I made surprisingly swift progress through the rest of the day.
I took several short breaks to rest my right arm which is very sore. I think I hurt it carrying my bike up the river bank yesterday. One of these breaks put me next to a large collection of blackberry bush. I have been passing blackberries frequently for the trip but I have only picked a few. This time I took the break to eat at least a pint of them. They were perfectly ripe and some, heated by the sun, had a exquisite sweet warm flavor that normally in only found in hot pie.
Just before my stopping place for the day I came across a large fruit stand by the rode and took another break to buy and consume a peach, nectarine, and refreshing slice of watermelon.
I was very pleased to be done by 6 PM today! I had all the time in the world to clean up. Also since I was at a RV park there was washer and dryer which I desperately needed. Hand washing may help keep me from reeking but there is only so much I can do. The laundry however required quarters so I unloaded and set up my site before doing the 5 mile round trip to get change and a quick hot dinner.
My bike performed perfectly minus a creak that appears to be coming from the cleats in my shoes. I think these "Egg Beater" pedals wear their cleats much faster than the ones I am used to. However I had no failures or flats today.
Today was just about perfect, weather was nice, I have a comfy place for the night, and I have clean clothes. What more could I want?
Oh, I finished a book called "Getting to Yes" which is a book on negotiation. I recommend it. It has a very easy to read tone. Despite some worries it might contain what I would consider manipulative or doggy material it was pleasantly principled and respectable in it's content.

No comments: