Monday, September 8, 2008

9/6/2008 I saw cheese, and fish, and shore, and mist, and woods, and....

Four Winds Motel, Depoe Bay, OR
Miles Today: 71
Miles Done: 550
Miles Left: 1277

I got an early start today hitting the road by about 8:30 AM. However the first 7 miles was backtracking to the cheese factory I saw on the way through Tillamook. I am glad I did. The exhibit was a bit corny and the videos had a bit a pushy spin but being the fan of cheese I am I was thrilled to see the process of it being made. The factory had a elevated glassed in room that looked out over the factory floor. I was in awe of the 40 lb blocks of cheese that came in on a conveyor belt from the aging room. The had literally over a million pounds of cheese aging in the near by buildings. Aw...... I already had a load of cheese so I didn't buy any but I was happy just to see it. I ran into the American couple coming in to the exhibit just as I was wrapping up and heading out.
The morning had low clouds of mist that I climbed into as I ascended the the lush green treed in roads east of Tillamook. I elected to take a bypass route that avoided Oceanside as I had been hearing from bikers for day that it was a unpleasent and dangerous strech of road. If I had not I would have hugged the low shore.
After the bypass I did hug the shore. The shore flowed the contours of misty capes along the ocean. I heard the sounds of waves and could see the the rocky cliffs to my side, feel the stiff wind in my face, and see the waves angrily crash against the sharp rocky shore. It was beautiful.
Then I climbed again.The sun had finally burned off the fog and I enjoyed the warmth of the sun at last. As I descended from that climb I passed by a long dune that ran along the road. There dozens of people ran back and forth on the sand in poorly muffled gas
vehicles (bikes, buggies, etc). Other than that the dunes were beautiful with tall reedy grasses and pine trees growing out of dips in the sand.
The tide was out and I saw numerous groups trudging through mucky tidal flats digging for clams and oysters. I took a break and climbed down to the mud though since I don't have boots I stayed near the edge to keep my feet dry. I saw countless holes in the mud where clams drew in and out water to breath and feed. I also saw barnacles adhered to the stones on the shore. Since I couldn't explore much I could not see much more. I had hoped to catch sight of a crab.
In Pacific City I stopped for pizza and salad for lunch. I had been looking for pizza by the slice for days and never seemed to find anyplace that sold it so I finally paid 8 bucks for 8 inch pizza. It was good pizza but I think a bit expensive.
Back on the road I followed the shore. At one point I came across a Salmon Hatchery which a neat to look at. Also the had a small pond of Rainbow Trout, some as big as my arm! In Neskwin I barrowed some WiFi from a closed coffee shop to call ahead for rooms for the night. All the paces I called we over $120 per night being "resorts" finally I found a motel and that set me up for my goal for the night.
The wind had picked up and and the mist has started to gather back up making it much cooler. I put on a wind vest to stay warm and went on my way. The route sent me of highway 101 onto "Old Senic Highway 101". This was a fablous road. The surface was not great and there was a lot of climbing but minus the first mile the 10 miles of the side road were almost devoid of cars making for a very relaxing ride. I could spare some of my precious attention to scenery and the simple joys of pedaling rather then focusing on staying to the right.
I descended and made surpriseing time along the shore toward Depoe Bay. I wish I had not made the reservation as I am sure I could have made it to the next campground 5 miles farther. However the weather was cold so I was not sad to get inside and take a warm bath.
I finished listening to Michale Crichton's "Prey" I would say it was a OK book. I found my self seeing a lot of me in the main character, also an out of work programmer. Crichton did a great job making the book an action packed and suspenseful novel. The ending was great. However in then I am not sure why I didn't like the book more. I say it worth the read but not a must read.

No comments: