Monday, September 8, 2008

9/5/2008 Motivational Problem

Big Barn Marina, Tillamook, OR
Miles Today: 52
Miles Done: 489
Miles Left: 1338

Today was a very late start, about 1 PM. I got up nice and early, around 7AM but I seemed to get bogged down in lots of little things; calling home, journaling, packing, chatting with people. I never seemed to be able to get out the door. My original goal for the day was Cape Lookout which would have put me at around 60 miles for the day, my minimum goal for most days. As a result of my late start I have about 10 miles I have to make up if I am to stay on schedule.
On the up side since I left so late I had the opportunity to make some quesidillas on a the gas stove so I ate well for lunch. Also given how short my day was I managed to see a lot.
First I meet two separate couples who were headed on the same route as I. I meet them both in the hard climbing near Cannon Beach. The first couple I met while I was overtaking them on a long and exhausting climb. They were doing the US west coast and seemed a very friendly pair. They had a trailer with them to haul their gear but one of the welds on it had broken so all it could carry was a small backpack, they had the gear heaped up on the tail of one of their bikes to make up for the missing capacity. We cycled together for a while on the narrow shoulder of the road while the busy traffic rushed by our left sides. After a while I pulled ahead. Later in a notch between climbs I meet a French couple who were not just doing the west coast but were biking from Alaska to Argentina. That just boggles my mind. They had already been out for 3 months. They we very friendly and we chatted while they ate a huge lunch and I my snack. After a while I had to pull myself away if I was to have any chance a making miles for the day. The climbs had slowed me down quite a bit.
The route meandered near the shore during the climbs and I took frequent short breaks at lookouts to rest and take in the sunny day. Seabirds perched themselves at every lookout adding to the views of the ocean. I suppose the climbs acted as a balance to my urge to hurry making sure I took the time to enjoy the weather and views.
The route then turned inland where I presented with a quiet road with another serious climb though not as bad as the one earlier in the day. I worked my up and over and descended back towards the ocean. Finally I reached Tillamook which you might recognize from the cheese brand which is made here. It needed to stop to get some food and when I was done it was getting towards 7PM. I calculated the mileage to the next campground at about 10 miles. That left me very little safety room. If I should get lost or a flat tire I would be rolling in just around or after dark. I decided that with sun so low on the horizon I should take the site in hand and I pulled over at friendly RV campground just east of Tillamook. They have a nice grassy patch for me to pitch my tarp and a shower house but no picnic table. Still I am pleased I made it this far and I have plenty of time to relax. I think tomorrow I will take the opportunity to backtrack 3 miles and check out the cheese factory.

No comments: