Friday, September 5, 2008

9/3/2008 I did it!

County Line Park
Miles Today: 76
Miles Done: 362
Miles Left: 1465

Today was the longest day yet of my trip. I did 76 miles total because it was left with a tough choice. There was about a 30 miles gap between places to camp, 20 to little or 10 to many. I decided to go long and as the day rolled on I assumed I was going to arrive fairly late. However the end of today was much faster along the fast flat road near the river. I am getting ahead of myself however.
The day started fairly normally with me pushing off around 10. I climbed and and ascended many long and tough descents. My legs are getting a bit stronger but hurt a bit more too. I am not sure what that means. My shoulder however is almost completely healed. It was seriously troubling me so I am very relieved to be free of the pain as it was near constant before.
In Castle Rock I stopped by the library to get online. I could not talk in the library but I updated my journals and check my email before heading across the street to the grocery to replenish my dwindling supply of food. I try not to carry much food so that I don't have to haul it up and down the hills. As a result I have to shop most days.
I cycled along numerous steep climbs and descents through wooded back roads working my way mostly south until is the later afternoon I reached the Columbia River. It is quite a river to behold with what looks like a broad swift current and numerous backwaters as I came up to it. However I made a wrong turn as as a result I started heading the wrong way initially along the river. After a couple miles I realized my error and with the help of some pedestrians I got back on track. I was annoyed for my mistake so late in the day but the road the I was on was a fast one and I made great time. Along the way I stopped a couple of times. First there was house selling fresh eggs and I bought half a dozen for breakfast. Later an elevated roadbed paralleled the road I was on. It appeared to be abandoned. At one portion where the slope of the riverbank to my right right was steep the engineers had to build a bridge/roadbed along it face to allow it to continue and some rather large trees were growing on top of that roadbed. I was quite a site to behold.
I am at the County Line park which is perched a narrow patch of sand between the river and the road. As a result traffic is rumbling 30 feet away from my campsite making for a noisy place to spend the night. However a couple sites over there were a couple of Australians how were also riding the coast, they had started in San Diego. We talked a bit but I got distracted by the nearing dark and so I hurried back to set up camp. The trees here are not at all right for my hammock so I pitched my tarp instead. As a result I will likely sleep much warmer tonight. Also the sand of the ground should be easy on the back. Oh, also this park has a bathroom but now shower. :(

No comments: